Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Log replication connections only when log_connections is on - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Log replication connections only when log_connections is on
Date
Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Log replication connections only when log_connections is on  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2011-01-19 at 09:08 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 7:55 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> > How will we diagnose erratic connection problems now?
>
> As Heikki pointed out, the slave still logs this information, so we
> can look there.  If that's enough, yeah, you'll have to turn
> log_connections on on the master, but I don't think that will be very
> frequent, and it's not an unmanageable burden anyway.

So now we have to check *all* of the standby logs in order to check that
replication on the master is working without problems. There will be no
default capability to tie up events on the master with failures of
replication. Events occurring on multiple standbys will not be picked up
as a correlated set of events.

It's possible, but its not a realistic alternative.

We've lost something and gained almost nothing. We need to avoid making
this kind of improvement.

-- Simon Riggs           http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/books/PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training and Services