describe objects, as in pg_depend - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject describe objects, as in pg_depend
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

A customer of ours (Enova Financial) requested the ability to describe
objects in pg_depend.  The wiki contains a simplistic SQL snippet that
does the task, but only for some of the object types, and it's rather
ugly.  It struck me that we could fulfill this very easily by exposing
the getObjectDescription() function at the SQL level, as in the attached
module.

I propose we include this as a builtin function.

Opinions?

--
Álvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org>

Attachment