Re: wCTE behaviour - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: wCTE behaviour
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On tor, 2010-11-11 at 19:35 +0200, Marko Tiikkaja wrote:
> I apologize, I had misunderstood what you are suggesting.  But now
> that I do, it seems to be an even worse idea to go your way.  Based on
> my research, I'm almost certain that the SQL standard says that the
> execution order is deterministic if there is at least one DML
> statement in the WITH list.
>
> Can anyone confirm this?

SQL:2008 doesn't allow any DML in the WITH list.

SQL:2011 has the "combined data store and retrieval" feature that was
discussed in another thread which basically implements the same thing.
They apparently avoid the whole issue by allowing only one data change
delta table per query.