Need help with plpgsql function. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From berelith
Subject Need help with plpgsql function.
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi,

I'm creating the function on a postgres 8.2 server.
I would like the function to accept half a dozen varied parameters (varchars
and timestamps).
The first parameter will determine which one of the 6 different select
queries that function is going to run.

The function will return all the rows from the chosen select statement.

I've been reading the postgresql documentation in creating functions that
returns rowset and I've read about  plpgsql. It seems to be what I need
because there is going to be conditional statements.

I'm just having a hard time putting it all together, and I'm not sure about
the syntax and how to return the selected rows back into OUT parameters.

This is a short pseudo example:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION report (
-- function arguments, type will determine which one of the 6 queries to run IN type       character varying(20), IN
param1  character varying(255), IN param2   timestamp,

-- returned values OUT code          table.code%TYPE, OUT name         table.name%TYPE
)
RETURNS SETOF rows
{ LANGUAGE PLPGSQL
IF type like 'type A' THEN   SELECT code, name INTO rows FROM tableA join some table ....;   return rows
ELSIF type like 'type B' THEN   SELECT code, name INTO rows FROM tableB join someothertable ... ;   return rows
ELSE   RETURN VOID
END IF;
}