Re: Horology Test Case Fails with Sun Compiler - Mailing list pgsql-ports

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Horology Test Case Fails with Sun Compiler
Date
List pgsql-ports
<Match.Grun@thomson.com> writes:
> --------------Cut here------------
> /opt/SUNWspro/prod/bin/fbe: "/tmp/yabeAAAHVaasb", line 279: error: can't
> compute difference between symbols in different segments
> Failure in /opt/SUNWspro/prod/bin/fbe, status = 0x100
> Fatal Error exec'ing /opt/SUNWspro/prod/bin/fbe
> cc: acomp failed for s_lock.c
> --------------Cut here------------

I believe this is the same issue reported by Alan Stange a month or so
ago.  You can just rip out the unused sparc assembly code in s_lock.c,
as per the May 11/12 changes here:
http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/src/backend/storage/lmgr/s_lock.c

> After making this change I notice that the -fast option has been causing
> the test cases to fail.

This doesn't explain your horology problem, however.  If -fast breaks
that test then we need to qualify the advice in doc/FAQ_Solaris that
suggests using -fast :-(.  Can anyone else confirm the problem?  Perhaps
it is limited to certain versions of the Sun compiler?

            regards, tom lane