Re: Problems upgrading from 7.1.3 - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Problems upgrading from 7.1.3
Date
List pgsql-admin
Geoffrey Wossum <geoffrey@pager.net> writes:
> Apparently PostgreSQL 7.1.3 didn't really enforce the length on VARCHAR(#)'s,
> which is why this never caused a problem with it.

Well, it did, but it did silent truncation instead of complaining.
This was determined to be not spec compliant ...

> Now, why did this all work fine if I added "-D" to pg_dump/pg_dumpall?
> Shouldn't that have failed for the same reason?

Yeah, it sure should have.  Can you compare the two dumps to see what's
different besides the data proper?

            regards, tom lane