Re: BUG #5592: list of integer undefined behaviors - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #5592: list of integer undefined behaviors
Date
List pgsql-bugs
John Regehr <regehr@cs.utah.edu> writes:
>> Just to follow up: all the other ones seem to be non-problems.

> Would you folks be willing to specify which arithmetic operations are
> considered to be safe in the case of overflow?  Something simple like an
> "INTEGER_OVERFLOW_OK" comment at the end of the line of code containing
> the operation would suffice.  This would let me automatically filter out
> error messages on these lines of code in the future.

That might be doable for individual operations, but I don't think that
(for example) having to label all the users of RIGHTMOST_ONE() would be
very maintainable.  Is your code capable of tracking back to a macro
definition?

Also, it would be nicer if we could put the marker comment on an
adjacent line.  If it has to be on the same line then there are
formatting problems when the code is wide (and pgindent could break it).

            regards, tom lane