Re: DBT-3 with SF=20 got failed - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: DBT-3 with SF=20 got failed
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> But what about computing the number of expected batches, but always
> start executing assuming no batching? And only if we actually fill
> work_mem, we start batching and use the expected number of batches?

Hmm.  You would likely be doing the initial data load with a "too small"
numbuckets for single-batch behavior, but if you successfully loaded all
the data then you could resize the table at little penalty.  So yeah,
that sounds like a promising approach for cases where the initial rowcount
estimate is far above reality.

But I kinda thought we did this already, actually.