Re: postgres_fdw vs data formatting GUCs (was Re: [v9.3] writable foreign tables) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: postgres_fdw vs data formatting GUCs (was Re: [v9.3] writable foreign tables)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Daniel Farina <daniel@heroku.com> writes:
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 1:16 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I'd be inclined to eat the cost of calling PQparameterStatus every time
>> (which won't be that much) and instead try to optimize by avoiding the
>> GUC-setting overhead if the current value matches the local setting.
>> But even that might be premature optimization.  Did you do any
>> performance testing to see if there was a problem worth avoiding?

> Nope; should I invent a new way to do that, or would it be up to
> commit standard based on inspection alone?  I'm okay either way, let
> me know.

Doesn't seem that hard to test: run a dblink query that pulls back a
bunch of data under best-case conditions (ie, local not remote server),
and time it with and without the proposed fix.  If the difference
is marginal then it's not worth working hard to optimize.