Re: Exclude constraint problem - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: Exclude constraint problem
Date
Re: Exclude constraint problem  (Alex Zepeda <zipzippy@sonic.net>)
List pgsql-bugs
On Mon, 2010-08-30 at 14:05 -0700, Alex Zepeda wrote:
> Short version:
>
> I dumped a table with an exclude constraint with pg_dump, and loaded it
> into another instance of postgres where it promptly failed to create the
> constraint.  The complaint was... key conflicts with key.  IOW,
> duplicate data.
>
> This should not happen, correct?  If it *should* happen, why?  If it
> shouldn't happen, where should I start looking?

Are you using any floating point values, or floating-point timestamps
(that's a compile-time option)?

If you dump a floating-point value, and then reload it, it may be
different than the one you started with. That can cause a problem with
either UNIQUE or EXCLUDE constraints.

If you are not using floating point values, please try to make a
self-contained test case that includes data that can reproduce the
problem.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis