Full-Text-Indexing - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Alexander Schneider
Subject Full-Text-Indexing
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hello,

I am also in need of FTI and looked iin the script from Maarten
Boeklhold. I have several questions regarding this:

1) Why should I use "varchar(n)" instead of "text" though the space for a
varchar-field is larger than text (varchar: 4byte+n, text: 2byte+n)? Is
it more efficient for queries?

2) I would like a table where I can insert/update/delete the stop-words
instead of an array inside the code. This would also help in lower the
words to search for in the query. Are there any grave performance
penaltys for this solution? It is much more flexible and I would trade a
small performance loss for this flexibility. [I cannot program in C so
maybe there is a volunteer who could write this little snippet for me?
:-)]

Thanx for any helpful comments!

Alex Schneider