Re: Vacuum running out of memory - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Vacuum running out of memory
Date
List pgsql-performance
Jonathan Foy <thefoy@gmail.com> writes:
> My vacuums have suddenly started to fail, seemingly at random.  I am
> confused.

> I'm running 8.1.3, with close to a dozen servers, up to 150 databases each.
> I have 8GB of RAM.  Vacuums have started to fail on all servers (though only
> the occasional vacuum) with the following error:

> VACUUM,ERROR:  out of memory
> VACUUM,DETAIL:  Failed on request of size 268435452

I'd back off maintenance_work_mem if I were you.  I think you don't have
enough RAM to be running a lot of concurrent VACUUMs all with the same
large memory consumption.

Also, if it's really 8.1.3, consider an update to 8.1.something-recent.
Not only are you exposed to a number of very serious known bugs, but
this patch in particular would likely help you:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2007-09/msg00377.php

            regards, tom lane