Re: Pooling in Core WAS: Need help in performance tuning. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Pooling in Core WAS: Need help in performance tuning.
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, 2010-07-22 at 14:36 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 6:58 AM, Craig Ringer
> <craig@postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:
> > So rather than asking "should core have a connection pool" perhaps
> > what's needed is to ask "what can an in-core pool do that an external
> > pool cannot do?"
>
> Avoid sending every connection through an extra hop.

Let's extend this shall we:

Avoid adding yet another network hop
Remove of a point of failure
Reduction of administrative overhead
Integration into our core authentication mechanisms
Greater flexibility in connection control

And, having connection pooling in core does not eliminate the use of an
external pool where it makes since.

JD

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor