Re: narwhal and PGDLLIMPORT - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: narwhal and PGDLLIMPORT
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2014-02-04 02:10:47 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Meh.  It might be that the DateStyle usage in postgres_fdw would
>> accidentally fail to malfunction if it saw a bogus value of the variable.
>> But it's hard to believe that this would be true of MainLWLockArray.

> There's not that much lwlock usage in contrib. It's just
> pg_stat_statements and pg_buffercache. Neither has tests... So it very
> well could be that breakage simply hasn't been observed.

Hm, you're right --- I'd have thought there were more of those.

Ugh.  This problem was bad enough when I thought that it would only lead
to link-time errors detectable in the buildfarm.  If it can lead to errors
only observable at runtime --- and maybe not obvious even then --- then
I think we *have to* do something about it.  By that I mean that we must
get rid of the need to manually plaster PGDLLIMPORT on global variables.

Anybody with a Windows build environment want to test the "#define extern"
trick?