Re: pg_dump versioning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_dump versioning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>> Watching the discussion about how to handle nextval() and keep it dump
>> compatible makes me wonder: would it be useful to encode database or
>> dump version info into dumps?

> If we ever get to a case where we _need_ to use it, it would be good to
> have, just in case.

The trouble is that it won't help you until years after you invest
the work --- invariably, the version info you wish you had is for
distinguishing between different *old* releases.

I'm not real excited about it myself.  My own design experience says
that version numbers aren't that hot as a way of determining "does this
data have the X nature?".  If you can't test for the problem directly,
you haven't thought hard enough.