Re: Help writing a query to predict auto analyze - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Help writing a query to predict auto analyze
Date
List pgsql-general
Excerpts from Gordon Shannon's message of mié may 19 18:02:51 -0400 2010:

> I'm sorry, I'm not following you.  Are you saying that "last analysis
> tuples" is "number of dead + live tuples from the previous anlyze"?  If so,
> that would really confuse me because X would always be 0:
>
> X = lt + dt - at
> X = pg_stat_user_tables.n_live_tup + n_dead_tup - (n_live_tup + n_dead_tup)
> X = 0
>
> ....or is there something else wrong with the formula?

Hmm?  n_live_tup and n_dead_tup corresponds to the current numbers,
whereas "last analysis tuples" are the values from back when the
previous analyze ran.  These counters keep moving per updates, deletes,
inserts, they are not static.

If there are no update/ins/del then indeed the difference is 0, which is
why we choose not do analyze.