Re: autovacuum: 50% iowait for hours - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joao Ferreira gmail
Subject Re: autovacuum: 50% iowait for hours
Date
Re: autovacuum: 50% iowait for hours  (Jaime Casanova <jaime@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hello guys,

thx for your inputs. I consider you suggestions valid.

We have hundreds or thousands of unreachable and unmaintained PG
instalations. I'm totally unable to experiment in each of them. Usage
profile can range from 100 rows per hour to 1000, 10.000, 50.000...
sustained... for several days... or even forever... CPU's and IO
subsystem also varies.. from cheap IO to fast enterprise grade hardware.

But I did try vacuum_cost_delay and the effect is as expected: IOWAIT
reduces :) but vacuum time increases even more :(  but it still does not
leave the processor alone; autovaccum is still not able to finish it's
job... and I can't wait forever.

We are using pg 8.1.4, and yes we a) reindex b) vacuum full and c)
reindex again  once a week up to once a month; this weekly/monthly
maintenance script has been quite effective as a workaround for the
"can't find parent index" bug... we can eliminate heavy bloats just by
running the script... but it also plays an important role in keeping
database correctly indexed (reindex) and responsive.

My experience with this scenario tells me (I may be wrong) that I don't
really need autovacuum as long as I keep those periodic maintenance
operations running (tipically Saturdays or Sundays during the night)

For several reasons I can _not_ upgrade pg. I must use 8.1.4 and just
live with it. And learn to work around the issues it might bring me.
Additionally I can not change the cheap storage we ship in some lower
end versions of our product.

So, I'm still considering turning off autovacuum.

any thoughts ?

I really appreciate the discussion. thx a lot.

Cheers
Joao