Re: SQLite (was: RE: Reliability of Windows versions 8.3 or 8.4) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: SQLite (was: RE: Reliability of Windows versions 8.3 or 8.4)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 2010-05-12 at 13:45 -0400, Rob Richardson wrote:
> I use both PostgreSQL and SQLite in my job.  I have mixed feelings
> about SQLite.  If you play by its rules, it works very well, but I
> think you have to understand its rules well.  If you do not set up
> your indexes correctly and do not use transactions correctly,
> performance can be horrible, but if you do, its performance is
> excellent.  For some reason I doubt I will ever understand, its
> developer thinks that it is a good thing not to require a column to
> hold any particular type of information.  One record can have an
> integer in a field, while the next record in the table can have a
> string in the same field.  I would much rather have my database
> enforce type consistency, and tell me when I'm screwing up.  There is
> no fixed date format.  I suddenly found that one program that used
> SQLite began writing dates as human-readable text strings for no
> reason I could understand, after it had been writing them as Julian
> dates (a floating-point number representing the number of days since a
> given date) happily for years.  I had to rewrite the corresponding
> program that reads the data to be able to handle either strings or
> Julian dates correctly and transparently, which was not easy.
>
> But it is nice to have SQLite available for use in programs that will
> be installed at multiple customer sites where we can't be sure if the
> main database will be PostgreSQL, SQL Server, Oracle, or something
> else.

I think it is also important to remember to use the right tool for each
job. SQLite is used for RPM as well as bookmarks for firefox. It makes
sense there. PostgreSQL would not.

SQLite is a small, cool, fast, embedded database.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor