Re: pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup Re: Re:[COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup Re: Re:[COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct
Date
In response to Re: pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2010-04-28 at 12:44 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> > Robert Haas wrote:
> >> At least as I understand it, even when not using
> >> archive_mode, streaming replication, or hot standby, it's still
> >> perfectly legal to use pg_start_backup() to take a hot backup.
> >
> > Nope. The correct procedure to take a hot backup is described in
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/continuous-archiving.html#BACKUP-TIPS.
> > It involves setting archive_mode=on, and archive_command to a shell
> > command that normally just returns true, except when backup is in
> > progress. You can't take a hot backup without archiving (or streaming)
> > at least temporarily. (except with filesystem-level snapshot capabilities).
>
> Oh.  Well, in that case the proposed change seems reasonable... but
> what do you mean by "except with filesystem-level snapshot
> capabilities"?

Like LVM, SANS or ZFS.

Joshua D. Drake

--