Re: Thoughts on pg_hba.conf rejection - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Thoughts on pg_hba.conf rejection
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > So you'd prefer a message that is sometimes flat-out wrong over a
> > message that is correct but less informative in the common case?  I
> > guess that could be right call, but it's not what I'd pick.
>
> Well, as I said, I think the only way to really improve this message
> is to use a different wording for the REJECT case.  I'm unconvinced
> that the problem justifies that, but if you're sufficiently hot about
> it, that is the direction to go in; not making the the message less
> useful for the 99% case.

I think that would solve my original gripe, if I understood the idea.

So instead of the typical "reject" instruction we also add a
"rejectverbose" instruction that has a more verbose message. Docs would
describe it as an additional instruction to assist with debugging a
complex pg_hba.conf, with warning that if used it may assist the bad
guys also.

"pg_hba.conf rejects entry for host..."

Patch for that would be simple and clear; I can add that if we agree.