Re: Postmaster holding unlinked files for pg_largeobject table - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Postmaster holding unlinked files for pg_largeobject table
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 2:45 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> My thought is that it needs some beta testing. �Perhaps it'd be sane to
>> push it into beta2 now, and then back-patch sometime after 9.1 final,
>> if no problems pop up.

> I think it'd be sensible to back-patch it.  I'm not sure whether now
> or later.  It's a bug fix that is biting real users in the field, so
> it seems like we ought to do something about it.

I don't deny it's a bug fix; I'm just dubious about the risk-reward
ratio.  As to risk: the patch isn't trivial (notice Alvaro didn't get it
right the first time).  As to reward: it's been like that since forever,
so if the problem were really serious, we'd have identified it before.

Letting it age a bit during beta would do a lot to damp down the risk
side of the equation.