Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 09:55 +0100, Yeb Havinga wrote:
> Greg Smith wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> So has anyone looked at porting MythTV to PG?
> >>

> > Periodically someone hacks together something that works, last big
> > effort I'm aware of was in 2006, and then it bit rots away.  I'm sure
> > we'd get some user uptake on the result--MySQL corruption is one of
> > the top ten cause of a MythTV system crashing.
> It would be the same with PG, unless the pg cluster configuration with
> mythtv would come with a properly configured WAL - I had corrupted
> tables (and a personal wiki entry  (the other mysql database in my
> house) *only* when I sometimes took the risk of not shutting down the
> machine properly when e.g. the remote was missing).

Pulling the plug should not corrupt a postgreSQL database, unless it was
using disks which lie about write caching.

Now need for WAL replica for that

--
Hannu Krosing   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com
PostgreSQL Scalability and Availability