xls export vs Data Migration tools [akaxls export function] - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Laurent ROCHE
Subject xls export vs Data Migration tools [akaxls export function]
Date
List pgadmin-support
Hi,

If you do a lot of data migration, I would recommend using an ETL tool.

I am using Talend Open Studio, which is an Open Source software. It's based on the Eclipse framework, you define your jobs with a graphical tool (drag & drop components : DB tables, files -Excel, CSV, XML, ...-) and then it generates the code that you reuse in your program (Perl or Java). It took me only a couple of days to be able to use it and to run plenty of imports.
I am not afiliated with them: it's just a great tool ... and Open Source !

I don't think it's the purpose of pgAdmin of doing a lot of extract.

Cheers,
L@u
The Computing Froggy

----- Message d'origine ----
De : W. Haslbeck <spam.langweilt@gmx.de>
À : pgadmin-support@postgresql.org
Envoyé le : Mardi, 9 Septembre 2008, 22h29mn 50s
Objet : Re: [pgadmin-support] xls export function

Hi,

> It's unlikely that we'll add xls capabilities as it's a proprietary
> format used on just one of the platforms we support - plus no one else
> has asked for it until today! I'm more interested in fixing the CSV
> issue you've run into.

XLS (or Excel XML) output would really be a big benefit (at least for me).
The big problem for me with CSV is that it can't describe datatypes. So
you have to options: a) let excel guess the datatype, which is often
wrong or b) set the datatype explicit at every CSV import for every
column. When you do a LOT data migration (which is a part of my job at
the moment, we're moving to SAP..) this can be very annoying.
To prevent that excel uses a wrong datatype, I don't use CSV export in
PgAdmin at all.
I create a view for each dataset that has to be exported and load the
view with the PostgreSQL ODBC driver to excel. Not very comfortable, but
at least not as error-prone as CSV import.

Creating an excel compatible XML output to PgAdmin shoudn't be to hard,
I've done this before for other tools. I really like to implement this
feature in PgAdmin, but no time atm.
Creating an "real" XLS is probably a bit harder than XML (but in doubt
you can always peek in e.g. perl's great Spreadsheet::WriteExcel module).

Walter