Re: new food for the contrib/ directory - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: new food for the contrib/ directory
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Alexandre Dulaunoy <adulau@conostix.com> writes:
> * I don't really understand your position regarding the GNU General Public
>   License. The GPL is offering multiple advantages for a big project and
>   software like PostgreSQL.

Every month or two a newbie pops up and asks us why Postgres isn't GPL.
The short answer is that we like the BSD license and that's how Berkeley
released it originally.  We have no interest in changing it even if we
could (which we can't).

If you want a longer answer, consult the mailing list archives; there
have been numerous extended threads on this topic.  Most of us are
pretty tired of it by now :-(

The question of whether to accept GPL'd contrib modules is less
clear-cut (obviously, since it's been done in the past).  But we've
concluded that it just muddies the water to have GPL'd code in the
distribution.  Contrib authors who really prefer GPL have other avenues
to distribute their code.