Re: schema support, was Package support for Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: schema support, was Package support for Postgres
Date
Re: schema support, was Package support for Postgres
List pgsql-hackers
Gunnar Rønning <gunnar@polygnosis.com> writes:
> Hmm. But if we had schema support can't we just package those procedures
> into a schema with a given name ? Maybe my stored procedures needs some other
> resources as well that should not conflict with other packages, like temp
> tables or such. It then seems to me that using schemas can solve everything
> that packages do and more ?

Yeah.  I am wondering whether we couldn't support Oracle-style packages
as a thin layer of syntactic sugar on top of schemas.  I am concerned
about the prospect that "foo.bar" might mean either "object bar in
schema foo" or "object bar in package foo".