Re: GNU readline and BSD license - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: GNU readline and BSD license
Date
Re: GNU readline and BSD license  (Peter Bierman <bierman@apple.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net> writes:
> Rasmus Lerdorf warned one of you guys that simply linking to GNU
> readline can contaminate code with the GPL.

> Readline isn't LGPL which permits linking without lincense issues,
> it is GPL which means that if you link to it, you must be GPL as
> well.

I do not believe that.  In fact, I'll go further and say "Horsepucky!"
The GPL applies to works that "contain or are derived from" a GPL'd
program.  Linking to a separately distributed library does not cause
psql either to contain or to be derived from libreadline.

If we distributed binary executables that contained statically linked
copies of libreadline, then indeed we'd have a problem.  We do not,
AFAIK, and we have no intention of doing so in the future.