Re: Schema vs Namespace - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Schema vs Namespace
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> What's the strategy for naming things schema or namespace?  In notice that
> pg_dump messages are all about namespaces.  That seems confusing from a
> user's viewpoint.

Probably the user-visible messages should all mention schemas.

I named the catalog pg_namespace because I didn't want to nail down
a presumption that the things in it are exactly equivalent to SQL
schemas; namespaces are an implementation mechanism to support schemas,
but not necessarily an equivalent concept.  But this bit of
implementation philosophy isn't very relevant for users.