Re: Permissions, "soft read failure" - wishful thinking? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Benjamin Smith
Subject Re: Permissions, "soft read failure" - wishful thinking?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Monday, December 14, 2015 05:25:16 PM Adrian Klaver wrote:
> > FOLLOWUP QUESTION: is there a way to ask the query planner what
> > tables/fields were output in a database result?
>
> Just dawned on me, are you asking if EXPLAIN can output more detailed
> information?

Ha ha, in another post, I just explained that the idea for the follow up
question came from EXPLAIN ANALYZE. Yes, the idea being to see if there was a
way to ask PG what tables/fields were used to output a specific result, field by
field, and then squelch these fields in our DB abstraction layer rather than in
the DB directly.

We're being asked to satisfy some pretty strict guarantees of data privacy
that were unanticipated when designing our product. Adding strict permissions
now would be an expensive proposition.