Re: Fast or immediate shutdown - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Fast or immediate shutdown
Date
Re: Fast or immediate shutdown  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2009-12-16 at 17:04 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On tis, 2009-12-15 at 17:19 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> > running with log_checkpoints = on
> >
> > pg_ctl -D foo -m fast stop
> >
> > log says
> >
> > LOG:  received fast shutdown request
> > LOG:  aborting any active transactions
> > LOG:  shutting down
> > LOG:  restartpoint starting: shutdown immediate
> >
> > Some of us know that the "immediate" word refers to the restartpoint
> > request, though that word causes conceptual conflict with the shutdown
> > mode, which was fast, not immediate.
> >
> > Think we need to change the wording of this
> >
> > LOG:  restartpoint starting: shutdown immediate
> >
> > so it is clearer what we mean
>
> We *do* we mean?  And why are we logging it?

The words after the colon refer to options sent to RequestCheckpoint and
it is logged because we asked for it by doing log_checkpoints = on.

I suggest we say "smoothed" when checkpoint option is !immediate. So we
will remove the word "immediate" from the message.