Re: how to ensure a client waits for a previous transaction to finish? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dan Kortschak
Subject Re: how to ensure a client waits for a previous transaction to finish?
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks Tom,

That was my initial view and I'm still not convinced that I'm wrong - I
can see no way that the server can tell that the query came from a
process without a terminal (though I may be missing something here).
Unfortunately I'm working at the boundary of my knowledge for both
torque and pg, so it's difficult to be certain.

I should point out that the pg queries are not submitted by psql, but
from perl using the perl DBI. This does not fundamentally change the
argument.

The thing that worries me is that I can't replicate the fault any way
but but calling with a qsub.

Unfortunately I need the machine to do this work over the next few days,
so I can't look into the details (I can run the jobs without using
torque, but it makes life easier).

The strace -f is a good suggestion and I'll try if once this set of jobs
has been processed (each takes ~40-60 hours, and unfortunately the test
case takes about 20-30 minutes - I suspect that this problem would not
arise with more convenient tests).

cheers
Dan