Re: Patch: Remove gcc dependency in definition of inline functions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Patch: Remove gcc dependency in definition of inline functions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On mån, 2009-11-30 at 07:06 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I thought one problem was that inline is a suggestion that the compiler
> can ignore, while macros have to be implemented as specified.

Sure, but one could argue that a compiler that doesn't support inline
usefully is probably not the sort of compiler that you use for compiling
performance-relevant software anyway.  We can support such systems in a
degraded way for historical value and evaluation purposes as long as
it's pretty much free, like we support systems without working int8.