Re: sgml and "empty" closing tags - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: sgml and "empty" closing tags
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On mån, 2009-11-16 at 20:30 -0700, Alex Hunsaker wrote:
> While looking over the writable cte patch I noticed queries.sgml has
> lots of things in the form "<literal>FROM</>".  I tried various
> googles to see if </> is some kind of sgml/xml shorthand for close the
> last opened tag.  But alas, nothing found.  Bad google foo?

If you have DocBook installed locally, you should have a file called
docbook.dcl, which contains the "SGML declaration" of DocBook, and
somewhere down contains this:

FEATURES
        MINIMIZE                 DATATAG  NO                 OMITTAG  NO                 RANK     NO
SHORTTAGYES

So if you google for something like "markup minimization shorttag", you
can find more information.

For amusement, contrast this with the SGML declaration of HTML:

FEATURES MINIMIZE   DATATAG  NO   OMITTAG  YES  <-- This is why you can omit <body>, for example.   RANK     NO
SHORTTAGYES