Re: Updates, deletes and inserts are very slow. What can I do make them bearable? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Updates, deletes and inserts are very slow. What can I do make them bearable?
Date
List pgsql-general
Tim Uckun <timuckun@gmail.com> writes:
> Here is the actual query.

> update consolidated_urls
> set screenshot_file_name = tu.screenshot_file_name,
>    screenshot_content_type  = tu.screenshot_content_type,
>    screenshot_file_size = tu.screenshot_file_size,
>    screenshot_status  = tu.screenshot_status
> from  consolidated_urls cu
> inner join trending_urls tu on tu.consolidated_url_id = cu.id

> This is a simple inner join.

No, it isn't.  This is a three-way join between consolidated_urls, cu,
and tu --- the fact that cu is the same underlying table as
consolidated_urls doesn't change that.  And the join is
underconstrained, causing each row of consolidated_urls to be joined
to every row of the cu/tu join.  That's why it's taking such an
unreasonably long time --- you're generating many thousands of redundant
updates to each row of consolidated_urls.  You should just write this as

update consolidated_urls
set screenshot_file_name = tu.screenshot_file_name,
   screenshot_content_type  = tu.screenshot_content_type,
   screenshot_file_size = tu.screenshot_file_size,
   screenshot_status  = tu.screenshot_status
from trending_urls tu where tu.consolidated_url_id = consolidated_urls.id

Postgres is a bit different from some other DBMSes in how it interprets
UPDATE ... FROM syntax.

            regards, tom lane