Re: createdb errors and more - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: createdb errors and more
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 17:55 +0100, Reno Bladergroen wrote:
> Today I restarted to install postgres from scratch, because I have a lot of installation problems. To summarize my
system:
> I have two xubuntu logins: a "superuser" and postgres. The latter one is a user with basic privileges.
> I installed pgsql according to the manual, generated a data folder, changed ownership to postgres, switched user
postgresand initialized the database. starting the database is also successful (status says running).
> But now: when I use the command createdb test, I get the error "can't connect to database postgres: could not connect
toserver: no such file or directory, Is the server running locally and accepting .... etc."
> When I switch user back to "superuser" I can start the server, add users etc. in pgAdmin3. But I need to be able to
dothis from the command line.
> PLEASE help, I am getting really frustrated with this system, it already took me 2 weeks and still didn't get it
right.

> Another thing I can't get done: I created the postgresql init script in /etc/init.d/
> When I reboot, the database is not automatically started. Do I need to login in the linux postgres account to let
thishappen? The database should also start in the background even when I login into another account?
> Should the data dir only be owned by postgres or the entire /usr/local/pgsql dir??
>
> Again, hopefully somebody can push me in the right direction.

Sounds to me that you have postgres from xubuntu and postgres from
source installed. Don't use source unless you have to.

Joshua D. Drake

> Thanks, reno

> This email and any attachments may contain confidential or privileged
> information and is intended for the addressee only. If you are not the
> intended recipient, please immediately notify us by email or telephone and
> delete the original email and attachments without using, disseminating or
> reproducing its contents to anyone other than the intended recipient. The
> azM shall not be liable for the incorrect or incomplete transmission of this
> email or any attachments, nor for unauthorized use by its employees.

PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor
If the world pushes look it in the eye and GRR. Then push back harder. - Salamander