Re: Summary and Plan for Hot Standby - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Summary and Plan for Hot Standby
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 19:06 +0900, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> > > - Does Hot Standby allow to use prepared query (not prepared
> > >   transaction) in standby? I mean: Parse message from frontend can be
> > >   accepted by standby?
> >
> > Yes, no problem with any of those kind of facilities
>
> Please correct me if I'm wrong. Parse will result in obtaining
> RowExclusiveLock on the target table if it is parsing
> INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE. If so, is this ok in the standby?

Any attempt to take RowExclusiveLock will fail.

Any attempt to execute INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE will fail.

This behaviour should be identical to read only transaction mode. If it
is not documented as an exception, please report as a bug.