Re: operator exclusion constraints - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: operator exclusion constraints
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 10:30 -0800, David E. Wheeler wrote:
> But that doesn't read as well to my eye as:
>
>      EXCLUDE (...) BY ...

I think EXCLUDE might be a little *too* specific. It sounds like
whatever is on the right hand side will be excluded, but that's not
really what happens.

EXCLUSION is vague about what is doing the excluding and what is being
excluded. I think that's good in this case, because the actual meaning
can't easily be expressed with a couple keywords, so suggesting the
behavior is about as close as we can get (unless someone comes up with a
new idea).

>      EXCLUDING (...) BY ...

I think that's better, but still sounds a little wrong to me.

Regards,Jeff Davis