Re: Doc patch--clarifying $1 in PL/PgSQL - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Doc patch--clarifying $1 in PL/PgSQL
Date
List pgsql-patches
Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Not that hard ... just requires replacing some special-purpose code with
>> general-purpose code ...

> Does that code cause the variables value to change from function call to
> function call (what most users would expect if they give it a default
> value based on a call argument), or will remember the value from the
> first function call for the lifetime of the backend?

I believe it will evaluate the DEFAULT expression on each entry to the
block, using the current values of outer-block variables (and also
variables declared earlier in the same block, if anyone cared to use
that behavior).  The code was already designed and documented to
evaluate DEFAULT expressions on each block entry --- what it was missing
was the ability to reference variables in these expressions.

Do you see something wrong with it?

            regards, tom lane