Re: tsearch2 in PostgreSQL 8.3? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: tsearch2 in PostgreSQL 8.3?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> The other point is that we should have a good idea of the API because
> if it gets into 8.3 it will be harder to change.

Yeah, once it's in core we have a pretty strong backwards-compatibility
restriction to deal with.  Someone upthread claimed "we can always
simplify it later" but that's exactly backward --- we can add features
later, but we can't subtract.

Maybe we should be looking to implement just the minimum set of features
for 8.3 and leave some of the more controversial stuff for 8.4.  I hate
to admit it, but if we take that point of view then triggers are in
and functional-index support is out.  We have to support the trigger
approach because it's what is in tsearch2 now, and the existing users
will expect to continue to have that option.

However, allowing the standard triggers to pay attention to a
configuration GUC variable is simply broken; that bit has to go away.