Re: Pg_Restore with --clean option - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Pg_Restore with --clean option
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Wed, 2009-09-30 at 22:14 -0700, Jyoti Seth wrote:
> I want to restore data of a single table. Before restoring the data I
> disabled all the triggers and constraints on that table. I used the restore
> command with --clean option so that data gets deleted from that table and
> then fresh data get inserted.

--clean drops the tables, not the data.

> But this is throwing error: duplicate key value violates unique constraint.
>
> How can I restore the data to a table that already has data?

Well, you could just not use --clean, which would insert the data into
existing tables.  But if you have conflicting data in your tables, you
need a more elaborate scheme, depending on how exactly you plan to
resolve those conflicts.

I think you might be a bit confused about the proper workflow with
pg_dump and pg_restore and therefore are not giving us accurate
information.  Perhaps some more detail would help.