Re: Databse installation problem - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tim Bowden
Subject Re: Databse installation problem
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Mon, 2009-09-21 at 12:59 +0530, Bhushan Verma wrote:
> Hi, Ok you ar right.
> Now I triied as follows:
> its showing psql 8.3.7 but server 8.3.1 and query returns 8.3.1
>
> [root@netocean2 pgsql]# /var/lib/pgsql/bin/psql test
> Welcome to psql 8.3.7 (server 8.3.1), the PostgreSQL interactive
> terminal.
>
> Type:  \copyright for distribution terms
>        \h for help with SQL commands
>        \? for help with psql commands
>        \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query
>        \q to quit
>
> test=>
> test=> select version();
>                                                 version
>  PostgreSQL 8.3.1 on i386-redhat-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC)
> 4.3.0 20080314 (Red Hat 4.3.0-3)
> (1 row)
>

> On 9/21/09, Tim Bowden <tim.bowden@westnet.com.au> wrote:
>         On Mon, 2009-09-21 at 11:54 +0530, Bhushan Verma wrote:
>         > Hi,thanks for your mail.
>         > I have alredy stopped the database before new installation.
>         > I have tried as you said but I am getting the same version
>         8.3.1.
>         >
>         > As per Tim Bowden said , I have also done these steps but
>         not able to
>         > get the 8.3.7 version.
>         >
>         > On 9/21/09, Gurjeet Singh <singh.gurjeet@gmail.com> wrote:
>         >         This does not belong to pgsql-bugs.
>         >
>         >         I have a feeling that your previous version of
>         postgres is
>         >         still running. You should have stopped that daemon
>         before
>         >         doing 'rm -rf'. attaching/pasting your pgstartup.log
>         would
>         >         also help.
>         >
>         >         For now, kill your current postgres processes, and
>         then try to
>         >         start again.
>         >
>         >         Best regards,
>         >
>         >
>         >         On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Bhushan Verma
>         >         <verma.bhushan@gmail.com> wrote:
>         >
>         >                 I have tried to install postgres version
>         8.3.7 as
>         >                 follows
>         >
>         >                 rm -rf /var/lib/pgsql
>         >                 mkdir /var/lib/pgsql
>         >                 ./configure --prefix /var/lib/pgsql
>         >                 gmake
>         >                 su
>         >                 gmake install
>         >                 adduser postgres
>         >                 mkdir /var/lib/pgsql/data
>         >                 chown postgres /var/lib/pgsql/data
>         >                 su - postgres
>         >                 /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb
>         -D /var/lib/pgsql/data
>         >                 /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres
> [...]

You seem to be using psql from 8.3.7 but running the 8.3.1 server still.
How *exactly* are you stopping the old server and starting the new one,
and are there any messages in /var/lib/pgsql/data/serverlog?

Tim Bowden

BTW, please don't top post.  It ruins the flow of the conversation and
makes it very difficult to follow.