Re: WIP: generalized index constraints - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: WIP: generalized index constraints
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2009-09-15 at 22:52 +1000, Brendan Jurd wrote:
> I'm just getting started reviewing this version now.  I noticed that
> your patch seems to have been generated by git.  Are you hosting this
> work on a public repo somewhere that I can pull from?

I just requested a public repo. I will publish there as soon as its
approved.

> Also I think
> the committers generally prefer context diffs (pipe it through
> "filterdiff --format=context --strip=1") in submissions.

Thanks, I will do that for my future patch submissions.

> Regarding the documentation updates, I think you might want to add
> some commentary to Chapter 11: Indexes -- perhaps add a new section
> after 11.6 Unique Indexes to talk about general index constraints,
> and/or update the wording of 11.6 to reflect your changes.

Will do.

> My eyes started to cross in the second sentence.  "Detect conflicts
> symmetrically"?  I have actually *used* this feature successfully in
> testing the patch, and I still don't know quite what to make of that
> phrase.  You might need to dumb it down.

Will do.

> It might also be good to be a bit more explicit about the way the
> choice of operators works.  It is the inverse of the logic used to
> express an ordinary value constraint.  E.g., when you use the equality
> operator in an index constraint you are in effect saying that new rows
> MUST NOT satisfy this operator for any existing rows.

I'll include that, thanks.

I appreciate the quick feedback; I'll make these changes tonight.

Regards,Jeff Davis