Re: COALESCE and NULLIF semantics - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: COALESCE and NULLIF semantics
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> If so then ROW(NULL,NULL) would be
> indistinguishable from NULL and the semantic gripes seem to largely
> go away.  It would be a problem for anyone who actually wanted to
> distinguish those two cases, but how much do we care?

Does that violate the standard?

To make that interpretation work I think you would need to say that
ROW(NULL,NULL) _is_ the null value, and you would have to allow things
like:
 select 1 + row(null,null);

which seems strange to me.

Regards,Jeff Davis