Re: Reverse Index ... how to ... - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Reverse Index ... how to ...
Date
List pgsql-sql
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> I'm still searching through Google and whatnot, but not finding anything
> off the bat ... is there some way of creating a 'REVERSE INDEX' on a
> column in a table?

> For instance, when I do a 'CLUSTER' to sort a table based on an INDEX, I'd
> like to sort it in reverse order, so would need the INDEX to go from
> 'GREATEST to LOWEST', vs 'LOWEST to GREATEST' ...

You shouldn't need to worry about that during CLUSTER, as the system is
perfectly capable of scanning an index in either forward or backward
order at runtime.  For example,

regression=# explain select * from tenk1 order by unique1;                                    QUERY PLAN
tenk1 (cost=0.00..1572.00 rows=10000 width=244)

(1 row)

regression=# explain select * from tenk1 order by unique1 desc;                                        QUERY PLAN
tenk1_unique1on tenk1  (cost=0.00..1572.00 rows=10000 width=244)

(1 row)

        regards, tom lane