Re: Crash in gist insertion on pathological box data - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Crash in gist insertion on pathological box data
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Teodor Sigaev <teodor@sigaev.ru> writes:
>> Here is a test case that crashes even with the patch:

> I was too optimistic :(

> Attached patch contains:
> - changes in R-tree picksplit methods. Now it checks bad ratio and if so then
>    use simple split: one half of entries to one page, and another part - to
>    another page.
> - protection from buggy picksplit method: GiST will emit an error if picksplit
>    of first column has that bug. For second and next column it could be a desired
>    behaviour, because picksplit may take in attention result of picksplit of
>    previous column.

I don't like throwing an error there; I wish there were a way for the
generic code to apply the fallbackSplit code instead.  I see that
in this particular formulation it's dependent on the datatype ---
can we get around that, by having it invoke the union method?