Re: initdb error - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: initdb error
Date
List pgsql-general
David Noel <david.i.noel@gmail.com> writes:
> On 12/13/12, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> (I"m wondering if zfs has issues with the O_DIRECT flag that we'll
>> probably try to use with pg_xlog files.)

> I /boot off of a UFS volume so I created a directory there, chown and
> chmod'ed it, then ran initdb again. Same error, unfortunately.

Hm.  So far as I can find from googling, ZFS doesn't support O_DIRECT,
or if it does the support is very new.  However, if that were the
problem then you ought to be seeing EINVAL or similar, not ENOENT;
and what's more the file should have gotten created before we'd try to
open it with O_DIRECT, so it should have been there after --noclean.

So I'm still baffled.  Back to wondering if strace will show anything
interesting.

            regards, tom lane