Re: Survey: renaming/removing script binaries (createdb, createuser...) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Survey: renaming/removing script binaries (createdb, createuser...)
Date
List pgsql-general
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> I like this too.  It'd be considerably more work than the currently
>> proposed patch, though, since we'd have to meld the currently
>> separate programs into one executable.

> I note that we can continue to have the current executables stashed in
> PREFIX/share/libexec and let the "pg" executable exec them.

Not share/ surely, since these are executables, but yeah.

This brings me to the idea that "pg" is a very small stupid program
that just tries to match its first argument against a filename in
PREFIX/libexec/postgresql.  If it finds a match it execs that program
with the remaining args, else it fails.  If we do it that way then the
problem of a client-only installation is solved: it merely has a smaller
population of files in PREFIX/libexec, and "pg" doesn't know the
difference.  Also the problem of optionally providing the old names just
reduces to providing links in bin/, whereas with a melded executable
we'd need still more smarts to look at how it'd been invoked.

So +2 or so for this one.

            regards, tom lane