Re: psql feature request (\dd+) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: psql feature request (\dd+)
Date
List pgsql-general
Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au> writes:
> What gets me with Pg's COMMENT ON is the way the comments have to be
> separate from, and after, the objects they refer to. IMO it'd be
> significantly preferable to have something like:

> CREATE TABLE X (
>     somepk integer primary key,
>     cost numeric(10,2) COMMENT 'blah blah',
> );

> .. with a similar clause for CONSTRAINT.

> Is there any particular objection to doing things this way?

You're infringing on SQL-standard syntax space if you do that.
Now maybe they'll never define some conflicting extension to
the CREATE TABLE syntax, but it seems to me to be taking a risk
for not a whole lot of gain.

Now, if you could persuade the SQL committee to standardize
syntax like the above, that'd be great.

            regards, tom lane