Re: Vote on Windows installer links - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Vote on Windows installer links
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, 2009-07-08 at 12:52 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> I understand your concern.  However, a popularity vote on the -advocacy
> list, which hardly represents the majority of the community, is not a
> way to decide it -- you're basically taking a straw poll of a tiny
> minority of the community.

> If we were serious about this, we'd need to put a poll up on a polling
> site and do a substantial job of publicizing it.

The popularity of the motion is precisely the thing we wish to vote on.
The decision to create the current setup was done privately in a very
small group, including people that work for the company that benefits
from taking this decision. I have said that a decision in such
circumstances is wrong, and was asked by Bruce to provide evidence that
anybody cares.

I requested we find evidence as a formal poll for the reasons you
suggest, and others. I would still be happier if this was a formal poll
rather than as an email from me, but if you would like me to raise this
on other lists, please confirm that.

The vote was requested on the advocacy list (which is where concerns
were originally raised by Andreas) so that I am not accused of
grandstanding. ISTM a valid list for this vote. Hackers and General have
specific subsets of the community also. I'm happy to take this to any
forum you request. (I would note that the group that took the original
decision is an even tinier minority of the community than this list).

> For that matter, *any* opinions about whether to change the download
> page or not need to be informed by the question of what resources we'd
> lose if it's not hosted at EDB.com.

Chicken and egg. It was suggested that I was the only person that held
the view as stated in the motion and was challenged to prove otherwise.
Once we have established that people care we can then look for possible
solutions.

>  People need to know what they're
> voting on, and right now they don't.  Heck, *I* don't, so I wouldn't
> take a vote.

You are the only person to mention that the ballot seems unclear, out of
more than 20 people responding so far, so there is no evidence to
support your view. If you choose not to vote, that is up to you.