Re: PLPERL function error - utf-8 to iso8859-1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PLPERL function error - utf-8 to iso8859-1
Date
List pgsql-general
"Patrick Hatcher" <PHatcher@macys.com> writes:
> Trying to create a plperl function to strip non-friendly mainframe
> characters from a string.  However, when I try to add the Trademark symbol
> (™) as a replace criteria, PG spits back an error:
> ERROR:  Could not convert UTF-8 to ISO8859-1

AFAICT this means that the trademark symbol is not in the character set
that you've specified to be used in the database; accordingly there's no
need to try to prevent it from being stored...

Perhaps you should have selected the database encoding to be the same as
what you're using on the client side.

            regards, tom lane