Re: New version numbering practices - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: New version numbering practices
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> One hiccup I found is that server_version_num is not sent to clients.
> Instead, libpq assembles the numeric version number itself from the
> string version, and it will fail if it sees only one number (e.g.,
> 10devel).  It will then set the version number to 0 for "unknown".

Per discussion, I applied and back-patched the libpq/fe-exec.c part
of this, so that back-branch clients will have a decent chance of
understanding the new server_version format by the time it hits the field.

In a quick look around, it seemed like we might also want to fix and
back-patch the server version printing logic in psql's
connection_warnings() function.  However that would involve touching
a translatable string so I thought it best not to do it just before
back-branch releases.